Preparing to move abroad this summer?
The winter is fully behind us and it is now full steam towards summer and expat-changeover-season! At this time of year, many expats feel the earth moving under their feet again as they start preparing to move abroad. Some will move for the first time and some for the fifth or more!
No matter if it is your first or your fifth international move, it can be an exciting but also nerve-wracking time.
Figuring out all the logistical stuff as you prepare to move abroad fills our headspace for weeks and months at a time. Packing up belongings, finding a new place to live, getting kids enrolled in schools, selling items we can’t take along, to name a few.
And, it's not just about the practical components, there are also a lot of emotions involved. Leaving behind friends, family and a familiar environment can be tough. There might also be some anxiety about moving to a new place and starting all over again.
As you prepare for your move abroad, you may be excited about experiencing a new culture and all the amazing things that come with it. But then there's also the fear of the unknown - will you be able to adjust to a new place, make new friends, and navigate a new language?
We understand this rollercoaster of emotions that we feel as expats. We have been there.
So here we want to give you a few tips for how to navigate the coming months so you can move through this transition with more comfort and grace.
And, as always, reach out to us if this is too much for you to handle on your own. That’s why we are here!
Book a free call to discuss how we can help you transition to your new country!
9 Steps to Follow as You Prepare to Move Abroad
By following these tips as you prepare to move abroad, you can increase your chances of having a smooth landing.
- Research the culture and customs of your new home: Before you arrive, try to learn as much as you can about the culture and customs of your new home. This will help you understand the local norms and expectations, have less culture shock, and make it easier to adjust when you arrive.
- Find a community of fellow expats: Joining a group of fellow expats can help you feel less isolated and provide you with a support system as you navigate your new environment. You can find these communities online, through expat organizations, or by reaching out to other expats in your new location.
- Make an effort to learn the language: Knowing the local language can help you communicate with others and integrate into your new community. Even if you are not fluent, making an effort to learn the language will show respect for the local culture and make it easier to form relationships.
Be open-minded: Moving to a new country can be challenging, but it's important to keep an open mind and be flexible. Be willing to try new things and embrace new experiences, even if they are outside of your comfort zone.
- Manage your expectations: Moving to a new country can be exciting, but it can also be difficult. Be prepared for ups and downs and try to manage your expectations. Focus on the positives and try to stay positive, even during tough times.
- Stay organized and focused: Moving to a new country can feel overwhelming, but staying organized and focused can help you manage your stress and stay on track. Make a list of the things you need to do and prioritize your tasks.
- Embrace new experiences: Moving to a new country is an opportunity to step outside your comfort zone and embrace new experiences. Try new foods, participate in local events, and explore your new environment. This will help you feel more connected to your new home and expand your perspectives.
- Take care of yourself: Moving to a new country can be stressful, so it's important to take care of yourself. Eat well, exercise regularly, and prioritize self-care. You'll feel better and be better equipped to handle the challenges of life as an expat.
- Take an expat coach: an expat coach can serve as a sounding board and a source of emotional support during what can be a really exciting but also stressful time. Expat coaching can help you manage culture shock, deal with homesickness, and work through any other challenges that might arise as you settle into your new life abroad.
We will help you transition smoothly and give you the confidence and tools you need to thrive in your new environment.
Things you don’t want to forget as you prepare to move abroad!
- Take things one step at a time
- Take time for yourself even if it feels like you can’t spare a moment
- Be patient and kind to yourself
- You don’t have to do it on your own - reach out to us. We are here to help.
Now take a deep breath and know that you've got this!
If you are worried about an upcoming move and are unsure how to tackle it, set up a free call with us and discuss how we can help you through this transition.
Check out the Expat Express package - a service uniquely designed for expats who need a little help as they work through this period of transition. Our clients find this package particularly helpful as they prepare to move abroad.
- Need someone to hear your concerns and who understands what you are experiencing
- Want to have a sounding board as you work through all the tasks at hand
- Need some practical tips, tools, and strategies to help you easily transition into this next phase in life
The Expat Express is designed to do this and more. Come check it out!